Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Winter Yesterday, Spring Today

 Today, I made my first trip to the garden. I have been viewing its snowy blanket for many weeks now, but with most of snow melted, little bits of green are appearing. My first stop was beside one of the Lenten roses (H. orientalis) which never fail to have blossoms hidden beneath the deepest snow.



Our area is so cold and snowy that the "Christmas rose" (H. niger) usually makes its appearance alongside the Lenten rose.(H. orientalis).   When I looked for it, there it was beneath the apple tree with ivory buds ready to open. While the hellebore is not a native plant, it adds such a cheerfulness to the winter garden with its hardy green leaves and its promise that new life can occur even in the coldest, dreariest, and most desolate of times.  As a cancer survivor, I especially appreciate this symbolism.



This was the view on February 26, just 19 days ago.
How amazing is this beautiful earth with its gardens
patterned by nature!  No matter what the season
the wonder of it all never ceases.



No comments:

Post a Comment